Labor Day is almost upon us (already!), so you know what that means, right? Summer is dwindling down and it's time for the family's last big "hoorah!" before Fall approaches. Thankfully, the three-day weekend is here. Who doesn't love a three-day weekend, right? Here's a list of things to do this holiday weekend:
- Russian River Adventures: The weather is perfect right now. Not too hot. Not too cold. The Russian River is great for picnic lunches, lounging around, and even floating in a tube down the river. Kids and adults love the Russian River.
- Ferry into San Francisco: This may be a little crowded, but if you plan it just right, a day in San Francisco may be what the doctor ordered for this holiday weekend. The Exploratorium moved to Pier 15, an easy walking distance from the Embarcadero. It's only a 20 minute (or less if you speed walk) walk to Pier 39, as well. Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square... endless fun to be had by all!
- Stinson Beach: I can guarantee this place may be incredibly packed with families, but, if you're in the mood for some awesome beach time, Stinson is great. Picnic tables surround the entrances to the beach itself, allowing families to barbecue before venturing through the sand to find that great spot near the water.
- Lake Tahoe: It's a bit of a drive, but completely worth it. Lake Tahoe is gorgeous during the summer. Pack up the family, get in the car, and trek it up to South or North Lake Tahoe (whichever you prefer) and enjoy some fun in the sun by the lake. Be sure to check the traffic before you head up that way. You may not be the only family that wants to spend the last bit of summer up by the lake.
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Now, if you prefer to head South, either through the East Bay
(watch out for that Bay Bridge closure traffic) or down the coast, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is one of the places you'd want to detour at. Admission to the park is free, and all you have to do is pay for a wristband for the amusement park rides. The Big Dipper is one of my favorite roller coasters at the boardwalk. The view from the beach is gorgeous. Picnic at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Since you've already had loads of fun at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, your next stop might be the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Thousands upon thousands of fish, sealife, and not to mention a killer view of the Bay. Adults and kids alike will spend hours at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, walking through the many different exhibits they have. My personal favorite is the penguin exhibit. I spent about an hour there myself a month or so ago. The seashorses are pretty cool, too. Don't forget to hit up the Whole Enchilada on your way back from Monterey. Best Mexican food on CA-1.
These are just a few ideas to think about if you haven't planned anything yet. I hope you all have a great holiday weekend!