If you are considering selling your home, here are a few tips to make the process run more smoothly:
1. Pick a Realtor who will manage the home preparation process for you. Hopefully, they will provide you a production calendar of events to help you stay focused and organized.
2. Have your home pre-inspected. Any issue that hasn’t been disclosed up front is fair game; a Buyer may request a credit back or price reduction. If you do nothing else, this is one action item that could save you thousands of dollars.
3. Go to the planning office and look at your file. Was any work done without permits? Clear those up in advance or discuss with your Realtor.
4. When cleaning out the garage, remove old paint and other toxic materials. Arrange to have those items taken to Marin Household Hazardous Waste Facility on 535 Jacoby Street. Hours: Tues.-Sat. 8:00am until 3:30pm.
5. Save window washing for right before photography.
6. If you are selling an inherited estate, consult an estate planner and/or tax accountant to make sure that you understand how to move the assets to minimize your financial exposure.
7. Stuff: One’s person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Sign up for your local chapter of www.NextDoor.com. Let your neighbors know what you are giving away. Only locals can see the posts. You can even anonymize your street number. Or, arrange to have your stuff (old mattresses, concrete, broken furniture) delivered to Marin Resource Center at 565 Jacoby street for a fee.
8. Need Help? You can use www.NextDoor.com to find neighbors who can lend a helping hand packing boxes, moving those bricks, walking the dogs, and just about anything you can think of.
Need a savvy hands-on agent? Please call or text me at 415-302-4123.